The Scientific Beauty is 3 weeks old today and already I have had so much fun researching and writing scientific beauty posts! I’ve also met some great beauty bloggers along the way and am excited and inspired for where I want this blog to go in the future. I have been lucky enough to have been nominated for not one, but two Liebster awards! A big thank you goes out to Eleanor of Elesaurus and Megan of Room with a Bloom, go and check out their posts!
- Thanks the blogger who nominated you
- Answer the questions given to you by the person who nominated you
- Nominate 5-11 bloggers and come up with a set of 11 questions for them to answer
So, I’d better get on with answering the questions that have been put to me!
- What is your favourite thing about blogging? I’d love to be a science writer one day so I love that blogging gives me the platform to practice this without any rules or topic regulations, I am my own boss! I love explaining science in a way that is easy to understand and I get to combine this with another passion of mine, beauty! I’d love to hear any feedback you may have about my writing as I’m always looking to improve
- What camera do you use for your blog photography? To be honest I use the camera on my Samsung Galaxy S3, it does the trick for now but I’d love a better camera! I love photography and would love a big camera to take nice pictures on holiday as well
- How do you find things to write posts about? So far I have had no end of inspiration for posts, I have to write them all down in a notebook so I can remember what they all are for the future! I like to write about beauty topics that I think need more awareness, such as suncare, and about any products that have some interesting scientific claim behind them. I think it’s important that people understand what is in the products they use and I hope to demystify some of the key facts through this blog
- Do your friends/family know about your blog? In a word, no. But I’m getting more confident about this blog and its encouraging that people have been so positive so far so maybe it’s about time I let people in on my blogging secret!
- What blogger inspires you the most? Well there are lots of beauty bloggers out there that I adore but I have to credit the scientific blogger Ed Yong for inspiring me to start a science communication blog after he gave a wonderful workshop about blogging with science at the university. After I came up with the idea for a science beauty blog I wanted to see if anyone else was doing the same thing and discovered Beauty by the Geeks, which I read every single morning at my desk. They have such a fabulous and natural style of writing about science in beauty and I would be happy if my blog was even a fraction of what theirs is!
- What hobbies do you have (apart from blogging of course)? I have been a keen salsa dancer for 9 years and if I’m not in the lab you can find me in the Manchester salsa bars with a beer in hand! I also love snowsports and have my own snowboard
- Favourite Disney film? Finding Nemo! I even have a GIANT Nemo!
- Would you ever brach out onto Youtube? Probably not to be honest, I’m already super busy with the PhD and explaining science via a video would probably be more like a lecture than a fun video!
- Favourite show as a kid? That’s a tough one, it was quite a long time ago now! I’ll go with Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- What’s your best memory? Definitely all the amazing holidays I was lucky enough to be taken on with my parents, touring around Arizona was pretty cool!
- Do you have any hidden talents? Not many people know that I dance salsa and even fewer know that I was Cuban salsa and Bachata varsity champion 2013/14 😉
- What’s your favourite season? I do love long summer days and warm evenings but as a snowsport fan I also love the crisp freshness of winter, especially when it snows!
- What does your blog name mean? The name is pretty self-explanatory really! The inspiration came when I was reading a paper from the journal ‘The Scientific American’ and sort of adapted it to describe what this blog is about. It’s also about me because I think we’re all beauties and I’m a scientific beauty! 😉
- What is your favourite candy/sweet? Chocolate. Always chocolate!
- How long have you been blogging? 3 weeks today! So happy with how it’s going so far and all the support I’ve had from fellow Bbloggers, I even reached 100 Twitter followers today and have 44 followers across WordPress and Bloglovin, so thanks everyone!
- Which blogs do you check daily? As mentioned above I check out Beauty by the Geeks every morning and then read various others throughout the day
- If you could go on holiday anywhere, where would it be? I’m off to Barcelona in a few weeks with the bf which I’m pretty excited about but if I could go anywhere I’d LOVE to see Brazil! I’m a massive fan of Latin American music and culture!
- Do you have any special talents? Salsa dancing. Been in love with it for 9 years so picked up a few tricks along the way 😉
- What’s the best book you’ve read recently? Honestly, I don’t read much, terrible I know! I spend so much of my time at work reading scientific journals that I like to go out into the actual world in the evenings! So I guess my most recent book would be this gripping beast…
9. What is your favourite holiday of the year? Christmas, sucker for a mince pie
10. What’s something that you’ve learnt recently? Apart from geeky PhD stuff, lots of blogging tips!
11. What quote do you live by? I try not to let the opinions of others get me down, especially in the university I get very anxious about speaking to other scientists so I try to remind myself nobody else’s opinion about me matters and as long as I’m improving as a PhD student (and now a blogger!) every day then I’m happy 🙂
I would like to nominate the following bloggers for the Liebster Award:
The questions I would like you to answer are…
- Why did you start blogging?
- High heels or flats?
- Who would your dream date be with and why?
- What is your guilty pleasure?
- Girls night out or girls night in?
- Who inspires you the most in life?
- If you could teleport to anywhere in the world right now where would it be?
- What is your fondest childhood memory?
- Which blog do you enjoy reading the most and why?
- If you won the lottery what would be the very first thing you bought?
- What is your favourite thing about blogging so far?
Can’t wait to see your posts, don’t forget to link me in so I can see them! Thanks for reading!